For many trips, organising meetings prior to departure proves impossible or apparently not worth the effort. In these circumstances, the leader has the difficult task of assessing the potential abilities of those wanting to come on the trip by telephone. Just about everyone who has done this will tell you it is not easy to determine who is likely to cope, and who isn't. However, the following questions may help:
- What walks or ski trips have you done recently or ever?
- Who led that trip? (that person's opinion may be useful)
- What gear do you have?
- What do you do to maintain fitness?
- Do you have any allergies or other medical conditions I should know about?
- Can you read a map and use a compass?