Delegation can be used when:
- parts of the leadership task require more than their normal share of attention
- you could consider developing the skills and confidence of various party members
- you want to concentrate on one aspect of the total leadership task.
Considerations when delegating:
- it requires the use of a wide range of leadership and technical skills to be effective
- it is a contract of trust
- it can take several forms based on the levels of importance of the task, trust and competence
- it can be subject to a number of barriers to effective delegation which can be overcome if we can recognise and choose to deal with them.